- Wide variety of field-based duties across the naturally beautiful North Burnett
- Achieve work/ life balance with a 9 day fortnight and generous leave provisions
- Career advancement and professional development opportunities
- Full-time permanent position
Council is seeking practical and solutions-focused individuals with a passion for land management to join the Environmental Services team. The position of Land Protection Officer is a diverse role that would appeal to someone who has a passion for land protection, engaging with the community and has a high level of understanding of pest management control processes. This opportunity will provide the successful candidate with the perfect balance between field and office based work and is integral in delivering Council’s environmental programs.
Key Position responsibilities are (but not limited to):
- Providing specialist advice to landholders on invasive plant and animal management, including weed identification, best practice management of declared weeds and feral animal control.
- Working with local landholders in the coordination of pest management and biosecurity programs & education programs, such as the Coordinated 1080 Baiting Program and Feral Pig & Wild Dog Trapping workshops.
- Assessment of stock route permit applications and undertaking inspections of stock route conditions and usage across the region.
- Investigating and actioning customer service requests in relation to invasive species, wandering livestock, pest, domestic and native animals.
- Undertaking vegetation control work which includes the safe use of chemicals.
- Inspecting and reporting on flying fox roosts and undertaking approved activities in relation to flying fox management.
Knowledge and experience required for the role:
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills to facilitate effective communication and education of stakeholders and landholders.
- Demonstrated computer skills and experience using mobile devices such as a smart phone and tablet.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work safely under remote supervision.
- Current unrestricted ‘C’ class drivers licence.
- Work Safe in the Construction Industry Induction Certificate (White Card).
- Certificate III in Conservation and Land Management, or the ability to acquire.
- Competencies related to the application of herbicides, pesticides, and poison baits, or ability to acquire.
- Commercial Operator’s Licence (for ground distribution of agricultural chemicals), or the ability to acquire.
- Current Contaminated Machinery Certificate, or the ability to acquire.
For any enquiries please do not hesitate to contact the People and Performance team on 1300 696 272.
Your application should include:
- A covering letter (no more than two pages), detailing your reason/s for applying for the position and how your work experience, skills and knowledge meet the key responsibilities and position requirements.
- A current resume that summarises your employment history, education and training as well as referees.
- A copy of your current drivers licence, and relevant qualifications and certificates
- A completed Position Application Form
North Burnett Regional Council is a drug and alcohol free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.