Choose your language:

Text resizer:

Home 9 Animal Registration

Animal Registration

Do I Have To Register My Dog?

Yes. The Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 stipulates that all dogs over 12 weeks of age must be registered (penalty’s apply for unregistered dogs). If your dog is found wandering at large and is not registered Council will be unable to contact you and reunite you with your pet.

An annual registration fee applies. Desexed and microchipped dogs or pension concession card holders are eligible for a discounted registration fee provided you have documentation to prove this. Working dogs as per the definition in the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 are not required to be registered, however if you do choose to register you working dog a small tag fee will apply.

Working dog means (Excluding dogs prescribed under the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Regulation 2009);

  • A dog usually kept or proposed to be kept on rural land;
  • A dog whose owner is a primary producers, or a person engaged or employed by a primary producer;
  • A dog owned primarily for the purpose of
    • Droving, protecting, tending, or working stock;
    • Or being trained in droving, protecting, tending or working stock

Registration forms are available here, at Council’s Customer Service Centres or call 1300 696 272 to organise a form to be emailed or posted out to you.

How many dogs can I have?

Only two dogs may be kept per residence. If you require to keep more than two dogs per residence then an Application for Permit to Keep Multiple Animals may be submitted to Council for consideration (fees applicable).

Are there any prohibited breeds?

Yes. The following four breeds of dogs are prohibited in the North Burnett Region:

  • The American Pit Bull Terrier
  • The Dogo Argentino
  • The Fila Brasileiro
  • The Tosa (Japanese)

What can I do about a stray dog?

Please call Council on 1300 696 272 if you have secured the dog (private property only) to arrange a suitable collection time with our Compliance Officers for when the property owner is present.

If the person who has the dog does not want to surrender it to the Compliance Officer, Council will then notify the owner with details of where the animal is being held.

If a dog is attacking people, what can I do?

Call Council on 1300 696 272 (1300 MY NBRC) to report the incident. You will be asked to provide your name, address, contact number and details regarding the attack. A Compliance Officer will then contact the complainant for further details and arrange a written statement as soon as possible, after which the matter will be investigated.

What do I do if there is a deceased dog on the road?

Contact Council on 1300 696 272 (1300 MY NBRC), and a Council Officer will arrange to remove it.

What happens if my dog loses its identification tag?

Head to your local Customer Service Centre and we will be able to issue you with a replacement tag ($8.50 tag fee will apply). It is important that your dog has a tag for identification purposes, and that it is worn at all times.

Registration Cost?

Prices as per Fees and Charges Schedule
Animal Registration Normal Pensioner
Dog – Entire $120.00 $40.00
Dog – Entire & Microchipped $95.00 $33.00
Dog – Desexed $36.00 $12.80
Dog – Desexed & microchipped $32.00 $12.80
Dog – Working dog $8.50 $8.50