Choose your language:

Text resizer:

Lost and Found Animals

Animal Impoundments

How do I release my animal from the pound?

If Council has impounded your animal please contact Council’s Compliance Team on 1300 696 272, so arrangements can be made to release your animal. Please note that only the legal owner of the animal can release the animal from the pound (ID required at release).

How much does it cost to release my animal?

The following release fees apply:

  • Release fee;
  • Sustenance fee; and
  • Registration fee (if applicable).

Payment is required to be received in full prior to the release of the animal.

Councils fees and charges can be viewed here – 2021 / 22 Fees & Charges

Seizure and impounding of animals

An authorised person may seize / impound an animal if it is:

  • Found wandering at large in a public place;
  • Found wandering at large on private property;
  • Delivered to an Authorised Officer by the occupier of land which the animal was found wandering at large;
  • It is an unmuzzled dangerous dog in a public place;
  • It attacks or causes fear to a person or another animal.

Sale and Disposal of Impounded Animals

Council may sell or otherwise dispose of an impounded animal which has not been reclaimed and returned to the animals owner within the following period of it being impounded:

  • Registered animals that are impounded will be kept for 5 working days; and
  • Unregistered animal that are impounded will be kept for 3 working days.

An authorised person may seize and destroy an animal without notice to the keeper of the animal if:

  • The animal has been seized and detained more than 3 times in the last year;
  • The animal is, in the authorised persons opinion, dangerous and not controllable by means that are reasonably available to the keeper of the animal; and
  • The animal is diseased or unwell.

Animal Adoptions

The North Burnett Regional Council strongly believes in proper animal care and the rewards of responsible pet ownership. Many of the dogs and cats that are held in the pound would make great family pets and are in the pound because they are abandoned, unwanted or surrendered to Council and are in desperate need of a loving home. Giving an animal a second chance at a happy life can be very rewarding. Some dogs and cats have had very hard lives prior to coming into our care and may need an owner who can give them special care.

Things to consider before you adopt!

Pet ownership is a commitment that should be carefully considered. It’s important that the animal you choose suits your family, lifestyle and home environment.

  • How much time do you have to commit to a pet?
  • How much space do you have?
  • Do you have adequate housing to keep a pet? (i.e. do you have an enclosure and shelter; does your rental agreement allow you to have an animal?)
  • Does anyone have allergies / health issues in your home?
  • What nature of animal would be best suited? (i.e. active / passive)
  • Do you have finances available to cover food, vet care, toys, etc.?

How to adopt a pet from the pound?

Once you’ve found a pet you like on our website or Facebook page, you will need to contact Council’s Compliance Team on 1300 696 272 to confirm that the animal is still available for adoption. Animals will only go to homes which meet the minimum requirements of the Animal Management (Cats & Dogs Act) 2008 and Council’s Local Laws. Upon adoption you will be required to pay an annual animal registration fee. The cost of registration varies depending on whether the animal is microchipped, and if you are a concession card holder. In addition, you will be required to sign a Statutory Declaration stating you will have the dog desexed and microchipped (if applicable).

You will need to bring the following with you:

  • photographic ID showing your name, address and age. Customer must be aged 18 or over;
  • if you have a child/ren you may choose to bring them to help determine that your chosen new pet is the right match for your family. 

NOTE: Animal registration forms / Statutory Declaration are to be completed and payment in full is required prior to leaving with your new animal.

For questions or queries please contact Council’s Compliance Team on 1300 696 272.


What to do if your pet goes missing

  1.  Carefully search your home and make sure that your pet isn’t hiding. Be sure to check any unusual places it has access to. Ask family and friends to help you search.
  2. Tell the neighbours that your pet is missing. They could help you look for it or just keep an eye out. Make sure you take a recent photo to show them.
  3. Walk around the neighbourhood and call your pet’s name. If your dog is lost, concentrate on the areas where you usually take it on walks and any other places you have recently visited.
  4. Create a ‘Lost Pet’ flyer and distribute it to houses and shops in your neighbourhood. The flyer should include a photo, your pet’s name and what it answers to, a detailed description, when and where your pet went missing, your name and contact number, and mention a reward (if applicable).
  5. If your pet is microchipped and the details are not current, contact the microchip agency and update your details immediately.

Who to contact?

  • contact the Council’s Compliance Team on 1300 696 272;
  • complete the below ‘Lost Pet Report’; and
  • contact local vets – many vets have ‘Lost and Found’ display boards.

Lost Pet Report

    Your Details

    Your Name*

    Your Address*

    Your Pet's Details

    Information Privacy  – Collection Notice – North Burnett Regional Council is collecting your personal information to enable communications with you and to determine an outcome for your ‘Lost Pet Report’. The information you provide will only be accessed by Council for these purposes. Your personal information will not be given to any other person or agency unless you have given us permission or where we are required to do so by law.

    What to do if you’ve found a lost dog

    If you have found a lost animal please contact Council’s Compliance Team on 1300 696 272 so arrangements can be made for collection.