How to Apply
Tips for applying for a job at council
- Your Application
- Selection Criteria
- The Interview
- Pre-employment Checklists
- Recruitment Outcome
- Need Help?
Your application should be clear and concise and relate directly to the position you are applying for.
Each advertised position will consist of a position summary and position description, which is available to all applicants. These are provided to ensure applicants fully understand the duties and responsibilities of the role, the skills and experience required to perform the role and the physical nature of the role and the environment in which it is performed.
Your application should include:
- A covering letter (no more than two pages), detailing your reason/s for applying for the position and how your work experience, skills and knowledge meet the key responsibilities and position requirements.
- A current resume that summarises your employment history, education and training as well as referees.
- A copy of your current drivers licence, and relevant qualifications and certificates
- A completed Position Application Form
Your application will need to provide the details of at least two current referees that can talk to the selection panel about your capacity to perform the position. Ideally, these will be people who have supervised you, but can also include colleagues, peers or clients if relevant. Make sure you have advised your referees that Council may be calling and brief them on the position – this will assist them in providing the most relevant feedback.
Council may ask for further referee details if they have been unable to ascertain sufficient information from those you have provided.
Your application will be considered and assessed against the position’s requirements.
The following reasons are why you may not be considered for an interview – be sure that you have met all the requirements below when submitting your application:
- Does not meet the position requirements.
- Does not demonstrate that you have the required experience and/ or qualifications.
- Demonstrates that you are not eligible for employment based on your residency status.
- Provides false or misleading information.
- Is incomplete, for example, missing cover letter, resume.
- Was submitted after the closing date and time advertised.
Council assesses candidates who best meets the selection criteria and there may be times where candidates do meet the selection criteria but are not invited for an interview.
Interview questions will be designed to draw out examples of your previous experience, skills and knowledge and to enable you to demonstrate your personality, attitude and motivations.
Here are some tips in preparing for your interview:
- Research – find out more about the position and Council to assist you in relating your experiences to the position you are applying for. Information may be obtained from our website or by speaking to the contact person for the position.
- Prepare – start thinking about examples from your experiences that relate to the position as you understand it from the position description and summary. Be ready to tell us why you are interested in the position and what attracted you to apply.
- Values, behaviours and attitude are just as important as qualifications and experience.
- If you have any questions you would like to ask, jot these down to ensure you don’t forget them.
- Relax – it’s okay to be nervous.
Some candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening assessments, such as a Criminal History Check, Physical and Functional Assessment or attainment of a Positive Notice Blue Card. The position description and summary will detail these requirements.
If you have been unsuccessful in obtaining the position Council will, upon request, provide feedback as to why and may offer any tips or suggestions for future interviews if this is relevant.
If you have been successful, Council will make you an offer of employment and on your verbal acceptance, will send you a letter of appointment and an Employee Kit containing all the information and paperwork required to get you started.
If you require assistance with your application, or further information regarding a position, please contact the People and Performance Team on 1300 696 272.