THIS RELEASE HAS BEEN CANCELLED – 22/09/21
Are you experiencing an increase of Rabbits on your property?
Are you interested in controlling your rabbit populations?
North Burnett Regional Council landholders can now pre-register for the Calicivirus release program
- Tuesday, 5 October: Monto and Mundubbera
- Wednesday, 6 October: Eidsvold and Gayndah
- Thursday, 7 October: Eidsvold and Mt Perry
- Friday, 8 October: Gayndah and Biggenden
All interested parties must pre-feed the identified colonies every day, for 4 consecutive days prior to the release of the virus.
- Calicivirus is a virus specific to rabbits which works by infecting the lining of the throat, lungs, gut and liver.
- Calicivirus relies primarily on direct rabbit-to-rabbit contact in order to spread. High rabbit numbers are therefore needed for this control method to be effective.
- After Calicivirus has infected an area, it is important to use another method for follow-up control to increase the likelihood that the population is eradicated before it is able to develop resistance and increase its numbers again.
- Resistance to Calicivirus depends primarily on the age of the rabbit, therefore, it is better for the virus to be released into a rabbit population after rabbits have bred and the young are old enough to be affected by the virus.
Register now for the Calicivirus release program by calling 1300 696 272 or emailing: email@example.com