Claude ‘the Mower Man’
You may have bumped into Claude ‘The Mower Man’ whilst out and about the past few days. I had the privilege of sharing morning tea with Claude whilst he was in Monto over the weekend. Claude has raised just over 1.3 million dollars for Bravehearts by walking all around the country pushing his lawnmower collecting donations and raising awareness of child protection issues. If you would like to help Claude reach his $2 million fundraising goal, please look him up on Facebook.
LGAQ Bush Councils Convention
Cr Giddins and Dingle recently road tripped to Barcaldine for the Annual LGAQ Bush Councils Convention. Approximately 140 Mayors and Councillors from regional, rural and remote Councils attended, along with Assistant Minister for Local Government, Ms Nikki Boyd MP and Shadow Minister for Local Government, Volunteers and Disaster Recovery, Ms Ann Leahy MP.
A strong focus of sustainability was felt throughout all the presentations and workshops. This is an issue that many regional, rural and remote Councils are experiencing. Cr Giddins reported that because of many discussions, it was clear that we need to continue to advocate for the Financial Assistance Grant from the Federal Government to be reinstated to 1% and no less.
Other topics covered at the convention were: adapting to changes within the Media and how we can continue to promote our regions, the telehealth system and its importance in regional areas, updates from Biosecurity Queensland covering Lumpy Skin, Foot and Mouth Disease and African Swine Flu as well as a discussion around the importance of regional waste management plans.
Department of Local Government Visit
Representatives from the Queensland Government Department of State Development, Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning visited the Gayndah Council offices Wednesday 27 July. The representatives discussed Council’s mandatory reporting obligations and Queensland Government grants programs with the CEO and General Managers. They also undertook Elected Member induction training for Councillor Kingsley Mesner to which I sat in as a silent observer.
Bon Accord Bridge Update
Council’s current and future steps in relation to the Bon Accord Bridge are as follows:
- Consultants are currently conducting non destructive testing on the bridge piers to determine if they are structurally sound to accept a retrofit or a new super structure on top. A report will then be provided to Council with rectification recommendations.
- Council will require time to review this report and decide on the most appropriate way forward. This is expected to take two months, depending on the level of decision making required.
- A company will then need to be engaged to design and construct the works using the agreed solution. This is expected to take 6-12 months, depending on the solution identified.
These timeframes will be dependent on a number of factors including weather, availability of consultants, contractors and materials.
Upgrade works to the current detour have been carried out to improve the safety of residents and road users. The Wetheron Road intersection with the Gayndah Mount Perry Road and Burnett Highway is also being improved by the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
Civil Works and Roads Update
Community members can expect the following works being undertaken throughout the region. These works can be subject to change due to weather and other unforeseen circumstances.
- Road Network
- Northern Construction Crew are currently working on Kalpowar Road
- Zone 1 Maintenance Grader is on Old Rawbelle Road
- Zone 2 Maintenance Grader Operator is completing road inspections of flood damage, once finished will continue grading Glencoe Road
- Zone 3 Maintenance Grader is on Anyarro Road
- Zone 4 Maintenance Grader is on Bilboolan Road
- Zone 5 Maintenance Grader is on Yerilla Road
- Zone 6 Yenda, Elystan and Ideraway Roads.
- Zone 7 Glenrae Dip/Back Glenrae Roads.
- Zone 8 Monogorilby Road then on to Allies Creek Mill Road
- Sign and Traffic Crew
- Sign and traffic crew will continue installing new signage around the Biggenden Region.
- Civil Works
- Yesberg Earthmoving is commencing emergent works on Gayndah Mount Perry Road and Biggenden Gooroolba Road (rain delayed).
- MMT Concreting replacing footpath in Eidsvold, between Esplanade and Moreton Streets.
- Cardiff Earthmoving and Haulage digging out and clearing drains/culverts around Mundubbera.
- C&K Earthmoving and Haulage clearing on Halfpennys Lane and commencing resheeting (rain delayed).
- Downer Works continuing on Abercorn Road upgrade, completing subgrade treatment and putting 2.3 gravel down (rain delayed).
- Construction Crew
- Mundubbera doing pavement works and clean up.
In addition to these scheduled works, works teams are currently logging the damage to our road network after the recent wet weather events to go towards lodging a QRA claim. We encourage residents to utilise Snap Send Solve to report any road damage so that these areas are included in our inspections.
We are acutely aware that Council’s works schedule does not match the expectations of some residents. We are committed to inspecting the road network to the appropriate assessments and submit funding claims where possible. This will help to ensure that our roads continue to be safe for residents to travel and conduct business.
Eidsvold Cattle Drive
I would like to extend my congratulations to the Eidsvold Cattle Drive Committee who in addition to their successful Celebrating the Bush Spirit presentation dinner, were able to donate $20,000 each to the Burnett Rotary Lodge, Royal Flying Doctors Service and LifeFlight.
Eidsvold State School NAIDOC Under the Stars
Congratulations to Eidsvold State School and its community for the successful NAIDOC Under the Stars event. From all accounts, it was a fantastic night for everyone with excellent food, entertainment and warm fires as people came together to celebrate.
As always, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me directly on 0458 696 272 or email@example.com or your divisional councillor if you would like to address any concerns. Our contact details can be found on Council’s website www.northburnett.qld.gov.au/meet-your-councillors
1300 696 272 | firstname.lastname@example.org